An accessible hurricane disaster kit should be one of the first things you organize when preparing for a storm. Below, we have organized a list to help you stay prepared.
First, your hurricane disaster kit should be kept somewhere that it can easily be reached in an emergency. A few good places to keep a kit are: your home, vehicle or at work.
Your basic disaster kit should include:
- Water ( 1 gal of water per person per day for a min. of 3 days)
- Food (3 day supply of non-perishable foods)
- First Aid Kit
- Radio (battery powered or hand crank)
- Extra Batteries
- Cell phone with an extra battery or a back up battery and charger
- Plastic sheeting and Duct tape (to shelter in place)
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and twist ties (for personal sanitation purposes)
- Wench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Can opener for non-perishable foods.
- Local Maps and a planned evacuation route.
- Whistle to signal for help
Additional items to consider including:
- All medications needed for family members (3 day supply)
- Infant diapers and formula
- Water and food for your pet
- Cash, travelers checks and change
- Sleeping bags or blankets for each person
- A complete change of clothing for each person
- Matches in a waterproof container
- Fire extinguisher
- Mess kits, paper cups, plates, plastic utensils and paper towels
- Feminine supplies and personal hygiene products
- Paper and pen
- Books, games, puzzles and other activities for children.
To be able to print off a downloaded pdf. list, or read more tips
please visit https://www.ready.gov/kit
Don’t go without power! We have generators!
Call us today and allow us to take care of all your electrical needs.